|Low: $5-$10||Medium: $15-$100|
Hummingbirds make a pleasant and fanciful addition to a backyard or garden. They can be attracted by their ornate feeders, which typically are suspended from a tree or hanging bracket. The feeders release nectar from a main chamber through feeding ports.
Related articles: Bird Feeder, Pet Bird
- A basic plastic red hummingbird feeder will cost from $5 to $10, such as this Garden Treasures feeder from the Lowe's home improvement store.
- More ornate and whimsical feeders, made of blown glass, ceramic or metal works, cost between $15 and $100. For example, this Ferris wheel feeder costs $48.
- Birdwatchers.com offers a hummingbird feeder gift set for $45.
What should be included:|
- Feeders should feature red accents. This visually attracts the hummingbird.
- Look for a feeder that has built-in bee-guards. This is a design feature that keeps the nectar level too low for a bee or wasp to reach but within range for a hummingbird to reach.
- There are different types of feeders to consider. Arguably the biggest breakthrough in this relatively simple contraption since its 1920s invention is the top-fill feeder, which is easier to fill with nectar than the traditional bottom-fill feeder.
- If ants become a problem, an "ant moat" can be purchased for about $6. The ant moat is a small plastic cup that hangs above the feeder to capture the ants before they are able to climb into the feeder.
- Hummingbird nectar can be purchased in ready-made form or as a just-add-water mix. Nectar mix costs between $5 and $10 anywhere feeders are sold. Two liters of Garden Song Ready-to-Use nectar is about $7.
- Make nectar by dissolving one cup of sugar into four cups of boiling water. Let cool. Sugar costs about $5 for a 5-pound bag. Do not use artificial sweeteners as they ferment more quickly and fermented sugar can harm hummingbirds.
- Hanging brackets or extension hooks cost anywhere from $3 to $25 depending on the durability and size.
- Special hummingbird feeder brushes are available at bird feeder stores online, such as Humming-Birds.com , for about $6.
Shopping for a hummingbird feeder:
- Many well-made hummingbird feeders can be purchased used at Amazon or eBay for under $20.
- Hummingbird feeders are widely available in the home and garden section of stores like Target , hardware stores like Ace Hardware and at various online retailers, such as Humming-Birds.com
- The National Audubon Society provides a list of hummingbird feeder facts and tips .
7 Tricks To Make Home Appliances Last Longer
Give your household equipment a little workout now and then, to make sure anything mechanical will perform well when needed. Periodic exercise can extend the usable life of many items. || Posted October 14 2013
5 Important Things to Know Before a Tornado Hits
This week the Midwest has been battered by tornados, which are one of the most violent and destructive type of storms nature has in its arsenal. || Posted November 19 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Pets & Pet Care Topics
- www.lowes.com/pd_287026-50445-P07B040A_0_?productId=3055561&Ntt=hummingbird feeder...
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com