|Low: $5-$10||Medium: $15-$100|
Hummingbirds make a pleasant and fanciful addition to a backyard or garden. They can be attracted by their ornate feeders, which typically are suspended from a tree or hanging bracket. The feeders release nectar from a main chamber through feeding ports.
Related articles: Bird Feeder, Pet Bird
- A basic plastic red hummingbird feeder will cost from $5 to $10, such as this Garden Treasures feeder from the Lowe's home improvement store.
- More ornate and whimsical feeders, made of blown glass, ceramic or metal works, cost between $15 and $100. For example, this Ferris wheel feeder costs $48.
- Birdwatchers.com offers a hummingbird feeder gift set for $45.
What should be included:|
- Feeders should feature red accents. This visually attracts the hummingbird.
- Look for a feeder that has built-in bee-guards. This is a design feature that keeps the nectar level too low for a bee or wasp to reach but within range for a hummingbird to reach.
- There are different types of feeders to consider. Arguably the biggest breakthrough in this relatively simple contraption since its 1920s invention is the top-fill feeder, which is easier to fill with nectar than the traditional bottom-fill feeder.
- If ants become a problem, an "ant moat" can be purchased for about $6. The ant moat is a small plastic cup that hangs above the feeder to capture the ants before they are able to climb into the feeder.
- Hummingbird nectar can be purchased in ready-made form or as a just-add-water mix. Nectar mix costs between $5 and $10 anywhere feeders are sold. Two liters of Garden Song Ready-to-Use nectar is about $7.
- Make nectar by dissolving one cup of sugar into four cups of boiling water. Let cool. Sugar costs about $5 for a 5-pound bag. Do not use artificial sweeteners as they ferment more quickly and fermented sugar can harm hummingbirds.
- Hanging brackets or extension hooks cost anywhere from $3 to $25 depending on the durability and size.
- Special hummingbird feeder brushes are available at bird feeder stores online, such as Humming-Birds.com , for about $6.
Shopping for a hummingbird feeder:
- Many well-made hummingbird feeders can be purchased used at Amazon or eBay for under $20.
- Hummingbird feeders are widely available in the home and garden section of stores like Target , hardware stores like Ace Hardware and at various online retailers, such as Humming-Birds.com
- The National Audubon Society provides a list of hummingbird feeder facts and tips .
7 Lesser-Known Discounts for the 50+ Crowd
As they age, members of the Baby Boomer generation don't like to admit that they're senior citizens, but they love getting discounts. It's kind of a quandary, because some of the best deals available are reduced prices for older folks. || Posted October 21 2013
7 Ways to Stretch Your Reduced Food Budget
End of the year budgets are tight for everyone, especially in this economy.It's especially hard for the millions of Americans who depend on government programs like food stamps to help make ends meet. || Posted November 11 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Pets & Pet Care Topics
- www.lowes.com/pd_287026-50445-P07B040A_0_?productId=3055561&Ntt=hummingbird feeder...
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com