|Exercise Pens: $70-$220||Mesh Kennel: $190-$500||Chain-Link Dog Run: $190-$2,060|
A dog run is either a fenced area or trolley system at a home or kennel that provides space to exercise and play while keeping the pet confined.
Related articles: Dog Kennel, Dog House, Owning a Dog
- The common and sturdy chain-link dog run typically costs $190-$2,060, depending on its size and materials. Behlen Country has a 10' by 10' by 6' chain-link fence that costs about $275 at home improvement stores.
- A mesh kennel, made of steel bound together in a grid pattern as opposed to the diamond shape of chain-link fencing, costs $190-$500, depending on its size and materials.
- Exercise pens, a more mobile, temporary option best for smaller dogs, costs $70-$220.
- A dog run trolley system is a clothesline-like rope is set up among two fence posts or trees set apart by 10 feet or more, with the dog's leash attached to the rope, giving the dog room to run but still be confined to a given area. Trolley dog runs cost between $15 and $30. Petco's Dog Tie-Out Trolley costs $23 for a 50-foot trolley or $30 for a 100-foot trolley
- Precision Pet's Courtyard Kennel , which is 36" wide and 28" high, costs $130.
- PetSafe's Cottageview Dog Kennel costs about $280. Mesh dog runs are made of smaller gauged wire that is assembled in a grid with rectangular holes.
What should be included:|
- Installation of a chain link fence takes about five hours and involves mostly clamping and fastening of posts and fencing, according to DIYornot.com Most homeowners choose to do it themselves, according to the site.
- The DIY Network has videos on each step in the process.
- Exercise pens are ready-made, have about six to eight panels and are foldable. Best for smaller dogs, the pen can be placed anywhere in the yard and sometimes inside home. The pens come as a series of panels that attach together with clasps.
Shopping for a dog run:
- Professional installation typically costs $130-$250, depending on the size of the dog run and the location.
- A shade cover costs $50-$135. PetSafe's 5' by 10' Sun Block Top costs $59.
- An anchor kit, like PetSafe's Kennel Anchor Kit , is used to secure an exercise pen into the ground costs $20.
- Panels to make a dog run larger cost about $120 each. A set of four at Petco costs $200.
- If ordering online, shipping for dog runs costs around $100.
- Some local governments require a building permit for dog kennels, which could cost $50-$100 depending on the size and location. Check the local building department for details.
- DogChannel.com advises buying the highest quality dog kennel one can afford, since sturdier-built models will require less maintenance and replacement costs in the long run.
- UnchainYourDog.org offers tips, including safety precautions, on installing a trolley system .
- Pet supply stores like PetSmart.com and home supply stores like Home Depot sell dog run kits.
7 Must-Have Tailgating Toys
Tailgating is an art form these days -- and a crazy one at that. There is an entire industry that caters to die-hard sports fans, providing all the comforts of home in a parking lot setting. || Posted September 12 2013
Boo! Don't Get Scared by Halloween Store Prices
Some people call me morbid. I call it a playful realism about human life expectancy. Either way, as soon as the local Halloween stores open, I'm in there checking out the inventory. || Posted September 4 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Pets & Pet Care Topics
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com